Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bi-Weekly Update 3/9/2012 A Slight Change

Well we have passed my first week of veganism with no problem. Of course there were temptations. Yesterday, no one was watching and I almost ate a hot dog. Thank God for willpower. However on Thursday I was talking with an old friend about the decision. He thought it was a good idea but he gave me some stuff to think about.

When the body stops receiving the proper amount of protein, it begins to eat at your stores of it. Your muscles. And your largest muscle is the central piece of human anatomy. It keeps us alive, it distributes the oxygen around our body, and it is believed to be the center of love. (psh please.) Our heart. Your body will eat at those muscles and the damage is irreparable.

This made me think. Maybe I really wasn't 100% ready for the whole vegan thing. So I began to lots of research. I found two interesting articles.

The first told you what the average protein intake should be dependent on your weight. Take your weight in lbs and multiply it by 0.37 (.5 for the nuts who are into the metric system.) and the resulting number is your daily protein intake in grams.

Next, I looked up the protein content of everyday foods. It was here that I started my path towards an epiphany. I was browsing through the non-meat section when I noticed that Milk and dairy products were very high in protein. Especially low fat cottage cheese. So this prompted more research.

I looked up the known nutrition facts on the more popular, high-protein, low-fat, dairy products. I was amazed by what I found. Removing Dairy from your diet and replacing it completely, can actually be HARMFUL to your health. No substitute can give you the same protein, vitamin, or calcium concentration. Also, it is a staple in the common diet and one of the healthier choices for proteins.

Henceforth, and to wit, (I dunno what it means but it sounds cool.) I am making the decision to put dairy products back in my diet. I know this does not make me a full vegan, but this is a health experiment. Nothing more. I have found though, that some substitutes are lower in fat and calories.

So far I have lost 15 pounds. However, I may have blown it on Mongolian Grill so I will have to be a bit more strict. Thank you all for your support. Please enjoy following my path to proper health.

- A Jake of All Trades

No comments:

Post a Comment